Pages

17 January 2014

Fulfillment in Marriage

There are lots of things that I see coming around in full force to demand our attention.  The newest gadgets with their top-of-the-line technology, games (video games or otherwise), Facebook, personal hobbies, friends, and the list goes on.  What happens when these things demand too much attention away from our families?

Elder Russell M. Nelson of the quorum of the twelve apostles related a story from a flight he was on.  He said:
On a recent flight, I sat behind a husband and wife. She obviously loved her husband. As she stroked the back of his neck I could see her wedding ring. She would nestle close to him and rest her head upon his shoulder, seeking his companionship. 
In contrast, he seemed totally oblivious to her presence. He was focused solely upon an electronic game player. During the entire flight, his attention was riveted upon that device. Not once did he look at her, speak to her, or acknowledge her yearning for affection. 
His inattention made me feel like shouting: “Open your eyes, man! Can’t you see? Pay attention! Your wife loves you! She needs you!” 
I don’t know more about them. I haven’t seen them since. Perhaps I was alarmed unduly. And very possibly, if this man knew of my concern for them, he might feel sorry for me in not knowing how to use such an exciting toy. 
But these things I do know: I know “that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.”1 I know that the earth was created and that the Lord’s Church was restored so that families could be sealed and exalted as eternal entities.2 And I know that one of Satan’s cunning methods of undermining the work of the Lord is to attack the sacred institutions of marriage and the family.
Full text [HERE]
What distracts you from finding fulfillment in marriage?  Do you find yourself too focused on work?  Does athletics take away from your energy and dedication in the home?  My challenge for you is to find those things and conquer them.  Let nothing stand between you and the strong relationship with your wife that you both deserve.  Remember, marriage is about the other person and their needs.  It's not a selfish venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment