Pages

22 January 2014

37th Anniversary

No, we're not that old.  In our marriage, we celebrate the months we've been married.  Every month on the 22nd, we take the evening off together.  We go out to eat, cruise up and down the aisles of the library, the bookstore, the mall, wherever we feel like being together.  Since Scarlett is now in the equation, we're a threesome, but she doesn't hold us back in the least.  Tonight, we went to see a movie on temple square in Salt Lake City about Joseph Smith and the restoration of the church of Jesus Christ.  Joseph Smith is one of the most inspiring examples of faith amidst trials and persecution.  I thought this would be a great date for us because we find it hard sometimes to know how God is watching out for us.  Sometimes he is simply preparing better things for us than we may be hoping for.  Nini is certainly more wonderful than anyone I had ever imagined, and I had to search for a while and go through some heartache to find her.  She's great.


Anyway, I wanted to share 37 special things that I love about Nini that absolutely make my heart go pitter-patter.

  1. She said 'yes.'  [We were married in the Los Angeles temple for time and all eternity on 22 December 2010.]
  2. First time I saw her beautiful face was 16 July 2010.  [She has that smile that just melted me!]
  3. I felt something for her and felt horrible that I didn't get her number right away.  I didn't expect to run into her again.  Lucky me!
  4. Saw her again a week later in the same place. [Coincidence?  I think NOT!]
  5. Gave her my number, and asked her age. [Who does that?  Seriously . . . ]
  6. She found me on Facebook and added me.  [Okay . . . so she wanted to make sure I wasn't a 'creeper'.]
  7. Our first Date was 13 August 2010.
  8. She tried to text me to thank me for the date.  I never responded to her texts.  I think it has something to do with the fact that I didn't have texting . . . maybe.
  9. Facebook has been good to us.  She was away for a week visiting her family in California and we messaged a lot.  I missed her, even though I hardly knew her, and Facebook allowed us to keep in touch and get to know each other.
  10. We like to send love songs back and forth via Facebook private message.  [It started during her time in California post our first date . . . just . . . not romantic at first.]
  11. Venus, purple flowers, and the Book of Enos.
  12. The 'Wedding Cake'.  [The Provo LDS temple]
  13. She speaks English, Spanish, and French!
  14. I didn't have money for a decent engagement ring, so I was fortunate that she didn't take that as me not caring.  She's good like that.  [She actually had a magic temp ring that her godmother gave her for her 'Sweet 16'.  Real and everything, just not the color she would have liked--and much too large.]
  15. She always knows what to say to boost my esteem and tip my happy-meter to the higher end of the scale.
  16. When I was applying to the BYU animation program, for the third time, I had a hard time keeping up my enthusiasm, but she cheered me on through it.  That's the time that I made it.  I had to work harder than I ever had in my life up to that point, but I made it.
  17. She made me a daddy.
  18. She's so lovely to see when I wake up next to her in the morning.
  19. She's patient.  I'm not the easiest person to tolerate (I know I drive myself crazy), but loves me still.
  20. She asks me for help when she can't reach things, usually in the cutest ways.  [i.e. she would stand back from what she needs, point, and through a toothy grin she would say, "Please? Please? Pu-leeeeeeaaaaase???"]
  21. She's very well-read.
  22. She uses big words, like 'defenestration.'
  23. She doesn't like her beautiful, dark eyes, but I think they're amazing because they reflect every star.
  24. "Nini Stars"
  25. Winter semester 2011 because we had to fight our way through the snowy Provo canyon to school every day.
  26. I love the way she smells, even if she feels yucky.
  27. Kiwanis park--sighting of our first kiss.  :-D
  28. When we were taking her parents to the airport one time while we were dating, they saw a playground on the UVSC campus and said, "That's for the married kids."  Every time we see a playground now, we can't help but chuckle.
  29. The tender moments.
  30. The moments where we sit down and cry together.
  31. Just talking.
  32. Taking photos.  [She's quite a gifted photographer.]
  33. She knows how to dream.
  34. She remembers important, special, or unique things about people.  I love that about her.  I think it's one of her most endearing qualities.
  35. She gets excited when I surprise her.
  36. She gives me the best cards!
  37. She's my biggest fan.
BONUS:  She's so worth every ounce of effort that I put into every good thing I do.

Life is always better when you appreciate the ones that are the most important in your life.  That usually means unplugging, turning off the TV, turning your attention to your spouse (or if you're not yet married either to your significant other or to making yourself into the ideal spouse) and family so that those relationships that are meant to last, will.

No comments:

Post a Comment