Pages

22 April 2014

Juicy Tuesd'y!

Welcome to Juicy Tuesd'y!  Since I was born in the South, I'm allowed to say Tuesd'y.  I'd like to start a weekly trend for something that I've been doing for the last couple of months--morning juices.

The Reason for Juicy Tuesd'y:
   
I don't know how long I've had it, but my mother said I was born with jaundice.  That means that your liver is slacking and not cleaning out your blood like it ought to and your skin pigmentation usually begins to yellow.  Your body produces what's known as bilirubin--which is nothing more than dead red blood cells--and jaundice occurs when your liver fails to clean those bilirubin from your blood.  Many things can cause a person to begin to have jaundice.  In tropical countries, jaundice can be caused by malaria or other diseases (kind of a sick and twisted way to get it, if you ask me), and is often something that babies are born with.  It can be fatal.

I currently have jaundice.  My condition is not fatal unless I don't take care of myself at all.  It mostly makes me incredibly tired, intensifies my asthma and seems to make it more difficult to sleep at night.  The form of jaundice that I have is called Gilbert's Disease.  It's a pain in the butt if you ask me, but I've found some things that have helped me to feel better physically.  Those things include hydration, exercise, sufficient sleep (a difficult one, being an artist), and plenty of fruits and green vegetables--hence the juice.

We've been staying with my in-laws since we moved to California (God bless them!), and my father-in-law has this juicer.  It's a Royal Prestige Xtractor.  It works super well, and I love the way it simply extracts the juice from whatever you put into it.  I'm not so sure I like all the "waste" going to waste.  There are likely a ton of minerals left over in that heap of stuff that I could very easily be missing out on, so maybe I'll switch over to a traditional blender.  We'll give it a go!

I like to use a wide range of fruits and veggies.  Some of my favorites include apple, spinach, carrots, beets, celery, strawberries, kale, kiwi, banana, zucchini, and many others.  It's a pretty neat deal, if you ask me.

Since I started making juices, I've felt significantly better throughout the day.  It seems to give me better energy than a bowl of Cheerios (although I tend to get both the juice and the Cheerios, though not at the same time), and usually helps throughout the whole day.

Now, I want to share my recipes here.  I'm only going to share one at a time.  I tried to be witty, so that people would enjoy reading my recipes!  I hope you like them!

Without further ado!


2 comments:

  1. Right now I am taking inventory of my first aid and medicine. It has occurred to me that I have not been sick since we bought our juicer. When I would start feeling sick, I would have a juice and within 2 hours I would feel not just normal, but energetic. I am a user and believer! My fav juice is 2 -3 tomatoes, 1 celery, 1 carrot, 2 kale leaves and 1 handful of spinach. Tasty!

    ReplyDelete