We became familiar with the movie The Vow one day together, and there's a line that Channing Tatum's character says a couple of times throughout the film. He said that he believes life was defined by moments. I certainly believe that's true, because four years ago today, my life was forever changed by a simple moment.
I started soon after getting home from the mission to spend a lot of time volunteering at the Missionary Training Center in Provo (the place where the missionaries go to be capacitated in their calling as missionaries and to started in their assigned language). Having served the mission in Chile, I always volunteered in the Spanish-speaking section of the center. I had started back up at school, so I would try to go between classes on Wednesday if I could, but my sure day was always Friday.
Well, one Friday, (16 July 2010) I had gotten there a tad later than usual, and they had just started a session. The elderly lady who was coordinating the sessions told me all of the rooms were already doubled-up, and to just slide into room number three.
![]() |
| (I didn't actually tell her this at first--just thought it) |
When I got into the room, I was awaited by a beauty never before or since paralleled by God, nor by man. In fact, since I first saw her, I've had troubles thinking about anything else. I wanted to talk to her, but gee I got nervous. There was another young lady there with her (no, they weren't the missionaries, but there were three of those there), so I started talking to her instead during the break.
Frankly, I don't remember a single thing about her because I was trying to figure out a way to start talking to the gorgeous little Latina gal I saw sitting just past her.
The first session finished up, and the other people left, so I got reassigned to another room, and this beautiful young lady that I had been so interested in talking to was reassigned to the room where we had been prior. I learned her name was Ninoska. I seriously wanted to be able to talk to her and maybe ask her out, but I was too nervous. I'd never seen such a stunning young lady before in my life. In fact, the only thing I could bring myself to asking her was how old she was--I seriously thought she was 18-19, but she wasn't. She was also a returned missionary having served in Geneva, Switzerland. I chickened-out of asking her on a date, but I couldn't stop thinking about her since I first had the pleasure of meeting her.
I walked away from that first encounter quite disappointed in myself. I felt so stupid for not asking her out and just knew I'd never see her again . . . .
BOY! Was I wrong!! The following week at the same place and time, I saw her again! I went over, called her by name and struck up the conversation. That day, I tried asking her out--"How do you feel about activities?". Apparently, beautiful single girls always have lots to do, so she told me no. With some arranging (and some cleverness on my part), I found an opportunity and seized it.
Since that day, she has made me the happiest man on earth.
Thank you, Chula to being part of my life. You still give me the honey glows something awful! I love you.
For ever and always yours,
Chulo








I love you! And for the record, you give me the "honey glow something awful," too. Bisou!
ReplyDelete:-D Thanks! You're great.
DeleteYou're really a beautiful family!!:)
ReplyDeleteI love all of your pictures!!!!
Miss you so much "Mama"!!:(
May God bless you all!
Love you<3<3<3
Julie-Flore