Life has been crazy--especially over these past few weeks. My job was such that I was employed on a type of contract basis ("on-call"), and so I am essentially employed by the project and not by the company. My boss has been very helpful for finding projects for me, finding raises for me, and has allowed me to both emphasize what I'm interested in doing as well as explore other skill-sets.
About two weeks ago, I found out that the projects that we had had lined up at work had all fallen through. That left many of my friends and I unemployed. It's a nasty reality that rears its ugly head all too often in many people's lives. The same thing happened to me last year. Luckily, we had enough of a savings account to be able to make it through then. This time, we were caught in a rough spot with little savings.
In December, my wife and I decided that we wanted to move to LA, and we wanted to go a.s.a.p. However, because we had no plan, no savings, and no job lined-up, we decided to hold off until the end of March by which time I had planned on having enough to survive comfortably for six months without income. That was if I were to work full-time hours. When work halted for me at the end of January, I had a break-down. I'd never felt so depressed and helpless as I did then.
My wife was sweet and supportive as she always is, but it was just as hard for her. We spent hours crying together, encouraging each other, questioning why we had to be going through this right now when we felt that we were trying to do everything we felt we were supposed to.
We both decided to accept it for what it is and that moving to LA would be the best thing for us as it would put us in a better location for me to get a 3D modeling job. Nini's parents live in south LA, so we would be able to stay with them for a little while. We've been incredibly grateful for our parents and their support and willingness to help.
We submitted our intent to vacate, learned that we'd be losing a full month's rent as well as our deposit (totaling out to roughly $1200), and pulled out the boxes from our garage. We spent all of last week packing our lives away. We were scared, but we both felt that it will be for the better. Nini told me that she feels like it's something more like God's giving us a shove to get to somewhere we intended to go, but that maybe He needs us there now. We're going.
We're fortunate enough that my parents live just over the mountain in Heber City. They came on Friday to help us load the moving truck. We kept many things, and dumped or donated many others. My brother and my dad helped me to take the stuff to LA. Ben and I took the moving truck while my dad took Nini and Scarlett up to Heber with my car to wait for me to come back and take them to LA the following Friday (this is for an exciting reason--let me get to it).
Seeing my girls go off without me was hard. I cried. I was sad knowing that it would be another couple of days before I would get to see my darling wife again. I missed her as soon as I sat her in the car.
The trip down was smooth and quite enjoyable. Ben and I talked about a lot of things, such as his career goals, his academic pursuits and his interest in going into the NFL. He's an ox. He's also got a knack for knocking people over (always intentionally). He wants to make a difference and help get clean water to the people of the world. He's worried he won't grow enough to make it to the national leagues, but I hope he will. Once he told me about his reasoning, I knew that his heart was in the right place, and if that's where God wants him to be, then He'll make it possible.
Ben thought he had died and gone to heaven because of how good the food that Nini's dad, Carlos, made. He prepared some awesome beef dishes--carne asada (one of Nini's favorites) and a carne encebollada. Carlos has a magic touch for making excellent food.
Anyhoo, that's all good and dandy, but our reason for doing multiple trips was that during the week between those two Fridays, I had been scheduled to interview for a modeling job with DreamWorks. I am extremely excited, so I'll post on that when it happens.
For now, we keep on keeping on! Hope all goes on well for you, too. Here's to better days!!
![]() |
| Forever Sweethearts. |
We both decided to accept it for what it is and that moving to LA would be the best thing for us as it would put us in a better location for me to get a 3D modeling job. Nini's parents live in south LA, so we would be able to stay with them for a little while. We've been incredibly grateful for our parents and their support and willingness to help.
We submitted our intent to vacate, learned that we'd be losing a full month's rent as well as our deposit (totaling out to roughly $1200), and pulled out the boxes from our garage. We spent all of last week packing our lives away. We were scared, but we both felt that it will be for the better. Nini told me that she feels like it's something more like God's giving us a shove to get to somewhere we intended to go, but that maybe He needs us there now. We're going.
![]() |
| Many of our boxes. |
Seeing my girls go off without me was hard. I cried. I was sad knowing that it would be another couple of days before I would get to see my darling wife again. I missed her as soon as I sat her in the car.
The trip down was smooth and quite enjoyable. Ben and I talked about a lot of things, such as his career goals, his academic pursuits and his interest in going into the NFL. He's an ox. He's also got a knack for knocking people over (always intentionally). He wants to make a difference and help get clean water to the people of the world. He's worried he won't grow enough to make it to the national leagues, but I hope he will. Once he told me about his reasoning, I knew that his heart was in the right place, and if that's where God wants him to be, then He'll make it possible.
![]() |
| Blurry photo of the trip down. |
Anyhoo, that's all good and dandy, but our reason for doing multiple trips was that during the week between those two Fridays, I had been scheduled to interview for a modeling job with DreamWorks. I am extremely excited, so I'll post on that when it happens.
For now, we keep on keeping on! Hope all goes on well for you, too. Here's to better days!!



No comments:
Post a Comment